Saturday, July 07, 2007

Chickpeas with Harissa, Basil (and Ham)

I bought Nigel Slater's The Kitchen Diaries when it first came out but somehow or the other, although I loved reading it, I've not been inspired to cook anything from it. Rather the same as with Apples for Jam! Then a few days ago my old friend Gravy over on n.com mentioned this recipe and how yummy it was and so I decided to pull the book out and take a look. It's very Mediterranean in style and brought to mind another chickpea recipe that I have been meaning to make, and will soon I hope, that I read about over on The Traveler's Lunchbox blog. However, as I have been wanting to overcome my blockage with Nigel's book, I decided to make this one first. As Nigel says he serves this as a side dish or a salad I have, therefore, labelled it as both here. Of course, if you omit the ham it's Vegetarian as well.

We have a glut of tomatoes as Mr. P is growing some this year. They are big and meaty, sun-ripened, and full of flavour. I think if you are going to make this, using good tomatoes is essential, although roasting even inferior ones does lift them to another level. The chickpeas can be cooked from scratch or tinned ones. I used pre-cooked from a jar, that's how you buy them here.

This is absolutely delicious and so easy to do. I made the full amount, even though I was thinking 800g of chickpeas sounds an awful lot. I didn't add the crisp slices of Jamón Serrano as I will be serving this later with some fish. I can imagine us picking at this at any time, it is very moreish and the harissa gives it a wonderful kick. Definitely something I'll be making again. Thanks, Gravy!



Chickpeas with Harissa, Basil (and Ham) - Serves 4

6 large tomatoes
1 medium-sized aubergine
120ml olive oil
50ml red wine vinegar
1 tspn cumin seeds
2 400g tins of chickpeas
12 large basil leaves
9 thin slices jamón serrano or prosciutto (optional)

for the dressing:
1 tspn harissa paste
60ml olive oil




Heat the oven to 200ºC/400ºF/gas mark 6.

Cut each tomato in half, remove the core, then cut each half into three pieces. Place the tomato wedges in a large roasting pan. Slice the aubergine in four lengthwise and then into short chunks. Add them to the roasting pan together with the oil, vinegar, cumin seeds and a generous grinding of black pepper and sea salt. Mix everything carefully to coat. Roast for about an hour until the aubergine is soft and golden brown, the tomatoes are caught slightly at the edges, and the whole lot is fragrant, sizzling and juicy.

Lift the tomatoes and aubergines from the pan with a draining spoon and place them in a mixing bowl. Leave any roasting juices behind in the pan. Mix the drained and rinsed chickpeas with the tomatoes and aubergines.

Make the dressing by stirring the harissa and olive oil into the roasting juices, then tip it in with the vegetables and toss well. Leave a film of dressing the the pan. Leave the basil leaves whole, even if they are very large, and fold them into the salad. They will wilt and soften in the slight heat from the vegetables.

If you wish to garnish the dish with ham as per Nigel's recipe ... set the roasting pan over a moderate heat, lay the slices of ham in the film of dressing and cook till they start to crisp slightly. A matter of a minute or so. Transfer the salad to a serving platter. Lift the ham out and lay the slices on top of the salad.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Pistachio, it looks incredible! This will sound silly perhaps, but it looks so perfect for your location, as if it were made for you:) Would you do it with the jamón serrano or continue to omit it?

pistachio said...

LOL, Coby, yes it is absolutely perfect for this sunny Mediterranean location, particularly as we are literally swimming in tomatoes and aubergines right now:)

I didn't use the ham because I'm planning to serve it as a side with fish later today. I think I will definitely try it with the ham next time though, I can imagine it will add a another dimension to it. We have such fabulous jamón serrano here so no excuse there:)

pi xxx

Anonymous said...

LOL You have fabulous jamón serrano, I think I would have to settle for prosciutto. We do have a man who makes incredible Spanish sausage up the country, but I cant source his stuff here in the suburbs. Do you not fancy ham with seafood? I thought that was popular in Spain?

pistachio said...

I don't know whether ham with seafood is popular here in Spain, or not ... I can't think of ever having eaten it together. I was thinking it might be an interesting combination but was not 100% sure, so in the end decided to leave it out. Sometimes unlikely bedfellows turn out to harmonise incredibly well ... for instance, I love lentils with fish!

pi xxx

Anonymous said...

I guess I was thinking more of (the most obvious) Paella. Of course that's chorizo, so really not the same at all. LOL I think I shall shut up now;)

pistachio said...

LOL, Coby ... actually, thinking about it, I don't like a paella that mixes seafood and meat. It has to be a fish and seafood for me.

Taking this a step further, here it is typical to mix meats as in a sofregit payes. It really doesn't do it for me at all. Bleugh, chicken, pork, rabbit ... all stewed up together!

pi xxx

Anonymous said...

Being the carinvorous omnivore that I am, mixing meats under certain circumstances appeals, but I understand where you're coming from.

Kelly-Jane said...

Your chickpea dish looks wonderful, a real Med salad!

I am also guilty of neglecting Kitchen Diaries...

Anonymous said...

This looks really good and I've just bought some cans of chickpeas so will try it. Thanks Pi and GQ!!
At last I've managed to fathom how to post a comment on here! Old age!!!

snowy xx

Anonymous said...

Yours looks gorgeous Pi!!!

It really did bring the Med to my kitchen on a cold rainy Sunday afternoon, its a glorious mix.

Re fish with meat, I did a nice Jamie receep, cod (or any other meaty white fish would do)wrapped in parma ham, it was lovely.

GQ xx

Kate said...

I received the Kitchen Diaries last week as a present and I haven't even opened it yet. This looks like a wonderful salad, I'm definitely going to try it.

pistachio said...

Mr. P has been surreptitiously digging into the salad left over from last night and so there is now far less than half to go with our meal this evening. Would appear this recipe is a hit ;) I'm serving what's left with spare ribs and they're going in the oven as I type! Won't be blogging this though as have done so before ...
http://pistachioenlacocina.blogspot.com/2007/03/spare-ribs.html
A great marinade recipe from my friend Violets ... worth checking out.

pi xxx

Anna's kitchen table said...

Looks fantastic Pi, and so colourful.

I love 'The Kitchen diaries'.
xx