Thursday, December 06, 2007

South African Butternut Soup

I got this recipe quite some time ago from Saskia on the Nigella forum (I wonder whatever happened to her, does anybody know?) and quite honestly it is now one of my all time favourite soups. I love butternut squash so how could it not be! It's easy to make, you'll need a big thick-bottomed pot, and using a stick blender makes life easier. A really lovely creamy soup with a deep flavour, truly satisfying. Enjoy!



South African Butternut Soup - Serves 4 generously

1 large onion, 250g approximately, roughly chopped
70g butter
2 heaped tspn mild curry powder or to taste
Butternut squash, about 1kg, peeled, seeded, and cut into chunks
1 apple, peeled, cored, and cut into chunks
nutmeg, salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
700ml chicken or vegetable stock
1 orange, zest and juice thereof
coconut milk or crème fraîche to garnish
Fresh coriander leaves, chopped, to garnish



Lightly fry the onions in the butter and when soft and translucent stir through the curry powder. Add the peeled and chopped butternut squash and apple, and cook for a few minutes so that the chunks are well slicked with the buttery onions and curry powder.

Season with nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste, then add the stock and bring to boiling point over a moderate heat. Add the juice and rind of the orange, and simmer until the squash is cooked through.

Let the soup cool a little and blend with a stick blender. Taste and correct the seasoning if necessary. Serve hot garnished with swirls of coconut milk or crème fraîche and a scattering of chopped fresh coriander if so desired.

Cook's note: Using vegetable oil instead of butter, and garnishing with coconut milk, would make this soup suitable for vegetarians or vegans too.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Pi! Well, by the looks of your gorgeous photo your mojo can't be too far away! That soup looks delicious, I like the idea of the sweet and savoury flavours - will definitely have to try this out. Hope your back is feeling better soon :) :)

Lady M said...

Hi Pi! :) Hope you are on the mend soon.

I remember you mentioning Saskia's soup a while ago; I really need to make this because I just love butternut squash soup! This looks delicious.

xoxo
Ilana

violets said...

I'm going to make this as it looks so delicious and its the right weather for it here.


Vi xx