With apologies to all my friends for my long absence. We've been eating well but nothing to blog about really. It's a busy time for us and, now that it's so very hot, we're eating lots of salads and simple grilled meals. However, this very tasty and quick pesto recipe given to me by my good friend Carlotta has inspired me to start posting again. Apparently it's the Sicilian way of making pesto and traditional to the area around the town of Trapani.As Mr. P is off out tonight for a music session with his friends I was looking for something really quick yet satisfying for supper ... and this fit the bill tremendously well. It doesn't look very colourful on the plate but the very delicious result more than made up for that.
A very simple and extremely quick meal, full of flavour. I think very often the simplest of dishes are the best. Thank you Carlotta!
Sicilian Pesto - Serves 4
500g ripe tomatoes, peeled and seeded (but this is optional...)
2 garlic cloves
1 bunch of basil
100g blanched almonds
extra virgin olive oil
salt & pepper
grated parmesan cheese
grated pecorino cheese
Put all the ingredients except the cheese into the food processor and blitz until creamy. You will need to scrape it down a few times.
Cook the chosen pasta, toss it with the pesto, add a handful of grated parmesan and pecorino cheese, mix and eat at once.
Cook the chosen pasta, toss it with the pesto, add a handful of grated parmesan and pecorino cheese, mix and eat at once.




































8 comments:
What a fabulous variation on pesto! I can imagine the almonds must help to give the dish a creamy consistency...without cream:) I always have Parmesan on hand, but not always Pecorino, how vital do you think it is to use the combined cheeses in this dish Pi?
What a delicious return to blogging Pistachio:)
Thanks, Coby, it really is a great variation, with a lovely deep taste, and now I'm really looking forward to trying out some of the other pesto recipes that Carlotta was kind enough to post for me.
I've never seen Pecorino here unfortunately so just used lots of Parmigiano Reggiano ... one of the drawbacks of living on a small island!
pi xxx
What a gorgeous recipe Pi. I'll definitely be giving this one a go :) The pecorino would add a slight tang to the pesto I think.
What a gorgeous recipe Pi. I'll definitely be giving this one a go :) The pecorino would add a slight tang to the pesto I think.
my favorite..
What I always make is a simple pasta and what I am thinking right now is to try this easy delicious Pasta with Sicilian Pesto :)
I would love to recommend such tasty-looking vegan recipe you have. Glad to have it posted!
Post a Comment