Monday, March 10, 2008

Mustard, Lemon & Rosemary Roast Chicken

In my continuing quest to find easy and tasty ideas for cooking chicken pieces, such a good choice for a no fuss meal, this recipe I found on the Australian Taste site caught my eye. It's for ten servings so I had to scale it down for just the two of us. I always go for thighs as I find this the tastiest meat by far but you can use whatever cut of chicken you like as long as it's bone in and skin on. For such a reduced amount of marinade I decided to use a pestle and mortar instead of my mini chopper. It only took a couple of minutes to make and somehow I like the finished result better when it's made by hand.

Well this was dead easy and very tasty too. The marinade gave the meat a lovely deep flavour and tenderness. In fact it was really succulent. So something to definitely make again and particularly when cooking for anyone who doesn't like anything spicy but you don't want the food to be bland. Always a bit of a problem for me as we like spicy. I served this with basmati rice salad as I had some rice to use up but some small roasted potatoes would go well too, plus a green vegetable. Would also be good to feed a crowd if you have a rack and roasting pan big enough!

Mustard, Lemon & Rosemary Roast Chicken - Serves 2

1 Tbsp rosemary leaves, roughly chopped
1 Tbsp flat-leaf parsley leaves, roughly chopped
1 garlic clove, peeled, sliced
1/4 tspn sea salt
1 tspn finely grated lemon rind
1 heaped Tbsp Maille Dijon Mustard
60ml olive oil
1 Tbsp lemon juice
freshly ground black pepper
4 chicken thighs, bone in and skin on

In a pestle and mortar combine the rosemary, parsley, garlic, salt, and lemon rind, and pound until well combined. Add the mustard, oil, lemon juice, and a good grinding of black pepper. Now give everything a good mix. Pour the marinade into a large ziplock bag, add the chicken pieces and turn to coat well. Refrigerate overnight.

Preheat oven to 190°C. Place the chicken pieces on a rack over a roasting pan. Pour over the remaining marinade, giving the bag a good squeeze so as not to waste any. Roast for 50 minutes or until golden and cooked through.

5 comments:

Tina said...

Looks really good Pi. Like the idea of cooking the dish for a bigger crowd, seems ideal for when you don't want to be tied to kitchen when entertaining.

Tina xx

Anonymous said...

I agree with Tina, I'm always on the lookout for easy recipes for large crowds and this one looks perfect.

Francesca x

Rhyleysgranny said...

Another one to try Pi. Looks very good

pistachio said...

Tina and Francesca, totally agree this would be a great crowd pleaser and would be equally good hot or at room temperature. Drums sticks would be really good as well I think.

pi xxx

Sophie said...

This looks like something I'd actually have time to make during the week. :) I like the mustard idea, and I'm sure this is very aromatic when it bakes :D.