Thursday, March 20, 2008

No Churn Pomegranate Ice Cream

My freezer is absolutely chock-a-block and so I've been rummaging through the drawers to see what I can use up to make space for my ice cream machine as I have a new recipe I want to try out. Well what caught my eye almost immediately was two big bags of pomegranate seeds that I harvested last Autumn and never found a use for. So rather oddly, to make room for the ice cream machine, I ended up making ice cream! This is a really easy no churn recipe from Nigella Express ... no custard making, and no having to take it out of the freezer to beat the crystals. A delicious ice cream for minimum effort.

I left the pomegranate seeds out overnight to thaw, although this most probably wasn't necessary as they defrost pretty rapidly, and first thing this morning piled them in batches into my old manual juicer. This is a funny piece of equipment, I think it's Italian and it looks a little like a potato ricer but with a cup underneath to catch the juice ... a great find in the flea market some years ago, and ideal for juicing these small seeds. I got 200ml of juice which I then poured through a fine sieve, together with the lime juice, into the bowl of my KitchenAid mixer. Using the whisk attachment, I sprinkled in the icing sugar and whisked at low-medium speed until the sugar had been completely dissolved. Now it was just a matter of pouring in the double cream and whisking at medium-high speed until soft peaks formed. I then carefully spooned this luscious-looking pale pink confection into a rigid plastic box and stashed it in the freezer to serve this evening.

This was very easy to make and a very pretty pink colour that was rather nicely offset by serving, as suggested, with a few pomegranate seeds scattered over the top. A delicately flavoured ice cream very suited to serving after a rich and spicy meal. I've still got lots more seeds so will very possibly be making this again to free up some more freezer space!

No Churn Pomegranate Ice Cream - Serves 8

2 pomegranates, plus seeds from a third for decoration
1 lime
175g icing sugar
500ml double cream

Juice the pomegranates and the lime and strain the juices into a bowl.

Add the icing sugar and whisk to dissolve.

Whisk in the double cream and keep whisking until soft peaks form in the pale pink cream.

Spoon and smooth the ice cream into the airtight container of your choice and freeze for at least 4 hours or overnight.

Scatter with pomegranate seeds before you eat it.

Cook's note: By way of clarification, soft peaks means when the beaters are lifted the peaks have tips that curl over. Stiff peaks, which is not what we want here, are made whisking at high speed and have tips that stand straight when the beaters are lifted.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks great Pi!
I have been meaning to try this recipe for a while.

Rhyleysgranny said...

Isn't it lovely Pi? Your picture is really good. I have been meaning to experiment with different juices as it is so easy to make. It's lovely on a slice of dense chocolate loaf cake:)
xx

Anonymous said...

Looks fabulous. I've a great bag of seeds in the freezer, maybe I should give this a whirl sooner than I was planning, although 'tis very cold here atm.

George xx

pistachio said...

Brenda, I think that's a great idea to make it with other juices.

pi xxx

Kelly-Jane said...

I did this one before Christmas, and it had such a good flavour, mine was so pink too, little one calls it Barbie Pink Ice Cream!

Anna's kitchen table said...

I loved this when I made it too! :-)

Tina said...

I really need to make this, looks lovely Pi and pretty easy to assemble by all accounts.

Tina xx

pistachio said...

Tina, it's an absolute doddle and makes masses. We had a big bowl each again tonight and there's still more left over.

pi xxx

laserjet printer said...

Pi your food looks so really tasty :)

diving Boracay said...

Thanks for the post.. :-)